Starting in 2014, Youth Collaboratory partnered with researchers from the mentoring field to ask the question - what if? As we continue into season two of the What If…? Podcast, we want to explore a few new questions:
- What if we talked to each other regularly about human trafficking and centered community in the process?
- What if we were able to end human trafficking by being in community with one another?
In this two-episode season, the panel discussion will:
- Refresh our understanding of what exactly human trafficking is;
- Challenge us to actively center community building and functioning in human trafficking prevention, intervention, and awareness;
- Increase our understanding of the inter-connectedness of ending human trafficking and building community;
- Bring greater awareness of how human trafficking negatively impacts the community and everyone in it; and,
- Inspire new ideas in us as we hold healthy conversations around ending human trafficking in our communities.
During this episode, we hear from 3 panelists; Maddox Guerilla, Mirielle Milne, and Dashamir Pettway with Joy Thompson as they discuss the impact of trafficking on communities, restoring community, and ways that we as individuals and as a collective work towards shifting the narrative about those impacted by trafficking, addressing the root causes, and centering those impacted. We start with the question, “What if we talked to each other regularly about human trafficking and centered community in the process?”
During this episode that builds on episode 1, we join the panel to dive deeper into collaborating with survivor leaders and providing practical tips and advice for combating trafficking in our communities. Join us as we ask, “What if we had communities that are aware, active, and empowering survivor leaders?”
To learn more about this work, you can explore our Specialized Services for Youth Impacted by CSE, and resources for Preventing Sex Trafficking of Black Girls and Building Community.
Have thoughts, questions, or feedback about season 2? Join in the conversation on Facebook or reach out to our panelists and Youth Catalyst Team members at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Catch up on What If ...? Season 1 where we asked the questions, "What if we stopped focusing on the broken parts of young people, and instead focus on their potential and growth and the unique qualities that make them who they are? And how could a mentor and a mentoring relationship be a part of that?"
Subscribe to What If ...?
You can subscribe to What If ...? anywhere you get your podcasts:
This podcast is partially supported by Grant # 2017-MC-FX-K051 awarded by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention. The opinions, findings, conclusions, expressed in the podcast are those of the hosts and guests and do not necessarily reflect those of the Department of Justice.